Bones are the framework of body and strong bones are a must for being active. Bone changes constantly. Bit of Old bone is removed everyday and a bit of new bone deposited . Just as in a bank account we have deposits and withdrawals , in bone account , we have deposits and withdrawals. During childhood more deposits are made than withdrawals , hence the bone grows rapidly. Peak bone mass is the time when bones have reached their maximum strength and density.
Up to 90 percent of peak bone mass is acquired by age 18 in girls and by age 20 in boys, which makes youth the best time to “invest” in one’s bone health. Deposits continue to happen till the age of 30-34 . Estrogen helps in making bones strong by ensuring more deposits than withdrawls. Menopause is the time when the body suffers from estrogen deficiency. In the first few years after menopause, most women go through rapid bone loss, a “withdrawal” from the bone bank account, which then slows but continues throughout the postmenopausal years. During this time of menopause and later ( post menopause ) , more withdrawals are made as compared to deposits. Aging is another factor which leads to more withdrawals are made as compared to deposits. As women continue to lose bone , women near the threshold for osteoporosis ( porous bones / holes in the bones ) and are at high-risk for fractures of the hip and spine.
Calcium : Calcium is the most common mineral in the human body. Calcium is very important for healthy bones. About 99% of the calcium in the body is found in bones and teeth It is very important to maintain normal levels of calcium in the body. If the calcium levels in the body go down , then the body would take away the calcium from bones which can lead to weak bones.
Magnesium : Magnesium is another important mineral for health of bones which is helpful in forming HA crystals which make the bones strong.
Vitamin D : The primary function of vitamin D is to maintain calcium and phosphorus absorption in order to supply the raw materials of bone mineralization .
Collagen makes up 90% of the organic matrix of bone.
Physical exercise helps to make the bones strong. This is exercise that forces you to work against gravity, such as walking, hiking, jogging, climbing stairs, playing tennis, dancing, and weight training.Lifestyle behaviors.Smoking has been linked to low bone density in adolescents and is associated with other unhealthy behaviors, such as alcohol use and a sedentary lifestyle. Experts assume that high consumption of alcohol in youth has a similar adverse effect on skeletal health.
Cigarette smoking decreases the bone density and makes them weak J Pharm Pharmacol.2006 Apr;58(4):513-9.
Withania Somnifera ( Lubdha contains Withania Somnifera ) improves bone calcification in Calcium-deficient ovariectomized rats.
- Osteoporosis, characterized by reduction in bone density,( Weak Bones ) is a significant source of death among the elderly, particularly in oestrogen-deficient women.
- Withania Somnifera ( Lubdha contains Withania Somnifera ) contains Oestrogen like Withanolides for antiosteoporotic activity.
- Histological(histology) Microscopic examination of the bone
- Morphological (scanning electron microscopy, SEM)
- Biomechanical strength (impact test)
- Mineral composition (ash) analysis.
Effect of Withania Somnifera ( Lubdha contains Withania Somnifera ) Alkaline Phosphatase and Urinary Calcium and phosphorous.
- Removal of ovary ( due to estrogen deficiency ) showed a significant increase in serum ALP levels and urinary Calcium and Phosphorous
- Withania Somnifera treatment markedly prevented this and thus prevented Excretion of calcium and phosphorous in urine.
Effect of Withania Somnifera ( Lubdha contains Withania Somnifera ) on Bone structure :
- Removal of ovary ( due to estrogen deficiency ) in histological findings revealed narrowed and disappearance of trabeculae with widened medullary spaces ( weak porous bones )
- Withania Somnifera( Lubdha contains Withania Somnifera ) treatment markedly prevented narrowing and disappearance of trabeculae.
Effect of Withania Somnifera ( Lubdha contains Withania Somnifera ) on Bone loss .
- Removal of ovary ( due to estrogen deficiency )in SEM examination caused metaphyseal bone loss in femurs .
- Withania Somnifera treatment markedly prevented metaphyseal bone loss in femurs .
Effect of Withania Somnifera ( Lubdha contains Withania Somnifera ) on biomechanical strength of tibias.
- Removal of ovary ( due to estrogen deficiency ) in Impact test showed a reduction in biomechanical strength of tibias.
- Withania Somnifera treatment markedly prevented reduction in biomechanical strength of tibias.
- The study concludes ,Withania Somnifera treatment markedly prevented the above changes in OVX rats and thus may be a potential agent in the treatment of osteoporosis.